Public Schools’ Fencing Championships
sponsored by The Leon Paul Equipment Co. Ltd.
Minutes of the Meeting of Teachers i/c Fencing
held in the Meeting Room, Crystal Palace Sports Centre,
on Wednesday 21st March 2012 at 4.00pm.
Present: Keith Smith (Chairman), Jon Milner (Hon. Treasurer & Wimbledon High), David Sach (Organiser & Brentwood), Nick Chapman (Accommodations & Bromsgrove & RGSAO), Jane Browne (Wellington), Anthony Cadle (Hymers College), Marc Chapman (KS Canterbury), Charlie Cottam (Elizabeth College), Julie Dyer (Ladies College), Chris Galesloot (Brentwood), Shaun Garley (Wycliffe College), Clare Halsted (University College School), Ken Holding (Shrewsbury), Jacob Leland (Eton College), Hugh Salimbeni (Westminster), Stuart Scorgie (Clifton College), Mavis Thornton (Arnold), Manola Toschi-Restivo (Bishop Challoner), Claire Trainer (Millfield).
- Apologies: John Chorley (Benenden), Denis Cruse (Tonbridge).
- The minutes of the meeting of March 23rd 2011 were approved.
- Matters arising: Denis Cruse (absent) had asked whether the decision of the 2011 meeting on the introduction of the foil bib target in 2015 could be reviewed and brought forward to 2013. Those present at the meeting were in favour of keeping the introduction to 2015 as agreed.
- A discussion followed on this year’s Championships. Comments were made on the suitability of the venue; temperature levels are inconsistent, either too hot or too cold. The view was that the venue is now too small for the Championships. Alternative venues such as EIS Sheffield and Thornbury in Bristol were mentioned as possible alternatives. The committee agreed to discuss the alternatives at their next meeting.
- The competition organisation and entry cap was discussed: HS stated that the cap had a negative effect for his school as he was trying to get more young beginner fencers to take part in competitions. The question was raised for whom is the Championships targeted? Elite fencers or lower level grass roots fencers. This led on to the format of the competition and the use of small pools and relatively large cuts. This means a lot of inexperienced fencers do not get much fencing. KS pointed out that the alternative, due to the large size of the entry would be slower competitions and a much later finishing time.
- The committee once again requested more teachers to join the committee, particularly those from girl’s schools. Potential members should be prepared to actively help with the organisation of the Championships.
- Dates for the 2013 Championships were provisionally given as 19th – 21st March.
- The meeting closed at 5.15 pm